Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day Thirteen, Evening

  Upon arriving at the Green Forest Inn I immediately noticed  an extra person at the meeting table. Mordin introduced the kid as Aramel and said, in a no argument sort of way, that he would be accompanying us.
  Well ok then.
  I said to the kid. " Aramel. What is your area of expertise? "
  His reply was " Killing things."
  His clothing was dark. His weapons were within easy and quick reach. I couldn't tell if he was wearing armor under his cloak. I assumed he was an assassin or rogue and made a mental note to keep an eye on him.
  We settled in for breakfast. Mordin as usual ate more than the rest of us put together. So with full belly's we headed down into the Accursed Halls for the third time. We had no trouble getting down to the Room of Silence where the demonic statue was. I was able to examine things more thoroughly without the imminent threat of soul sucking death.
  The silence was eerie and played upon my nerves. Examining the statue more closely I found a name at the base of it.
  Abraxus
  I pulled a small shovel out of my backpack that I use to dig trenches and foxholes and broke a little piece off Abraxus's foot.
  I didn't think that serpent like foot needed that fang anyways.
  I put my shovel away and stored the piece of statue in one of my many pouches. I determined to examine it latter.
  However, when we left the room I noticed my hearing was hampered. Kind of filtered and muted. I asked the others if they were having problems hearing and they said no. I pulled the serpents fang from my pouch and told them what I suspected.
  Everyone got a little excited about this news. They said if we were able to take the statue outside and fashion arrowheads and crossbow bolts from it they could be used to rain havoc down on enemy wizards and such on the battlefield. I was caught up in all the fervor until I thought ahead and envisioned what the Blue Basilisks could do to Ilaira Starcloak and the rest of the Goldcloaks if it fell into their hands. I pictured poor Iliara with several arrows in her gorgeous body, unable to work her magic and to defend herself. And if I raised a hand to defend her, I pictured those same arrows in my body....
  Quickly I put the stone chip back at the base of the statue and informed the party I would grab it on the way out.
  Travelling past the Wight's tomb we came to a dark and shadowy room which was several degree's colder than the room we just exited. Colder than a Wight's Tomb did not bode well. Cautiously we entered. About halfway through this room one of the 'shadows' came to life and grabbed Skylar.
  The way everything seems to go right after Skylar, I am thinking of giving him the nickname "Bad Luck."  But probably shouldn't.
  Skylar let out a muffled "yip" and halfheartedly swung the Sword of Zog at it.
  The cleric Abrandon once again presented his holy symbol. I guess, for the record books, that having your soul sucked out of you and then having it shoved back down your throat via magic potion increases ones confidence. because the blast of faith from Abrandon was literally palpable.
  I almost felt sorry for the Shadow as it did a backflip mid air and flew away into a crack in the ceiling.
  "Wow!" I said. "How long will that last?"
  " It will keep the Undead at bay for about a minute" he said.
  Skylar said the things touch made him feel weak like a baby. Abrandon examined him and said his strength would return a little each day and that he should be fine in about a week. Skylar, being the trooper he is said he could continue.
  I have a mental clock in my head and gave the party a heads up that the Shadow would be returning any second.
  We fanned out.
  Sure enough that Shadow came streaking out of that crack to be met with spells, arrows and axe swings.
  I hope it has a happy undead afterlife. Because that is where we sent it.
  We proceeded on.
  After a little more exploration we had determined we had exhausted all our avenues up to the 'Stardoor'. We had been finding and collecting small stones that looked like they would fit in the holes around the Starlike pattern. We had seven different colored stones. One for each of the holes.
  Our new member, Aramel, trying to prove himself , volunteered to place the stones into the door. As he placed the seventh Keystone into it's slot, all the stones were ejected and a burst of electricity shot forth.
  The Kid was quick, I'll give him that. because he ducked that lightning.
  " There must be an order to their placement." I declared.
  My fellow adventurers looked at each other, looked back at me, and handed me the stones. Stepping well back they said. " Figure it out. Oh Ye of 5 languages."
  Stepping up to the door, I took the stones, and starting at the top and proceeding clockwise, I placed them. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. The coloring order of the prism.
  The starlike pattern began to glow and the doors swung silently open.
  I stepped back and looked at my friends. To their astonished stares and agape mouths I said "It pays to stay in school."
  As they were passing me on their way through the door the halforc barbarian stopped and poked a finger into my chest. " Are you sure your not a wizard?" he said.
  "Nope!" I hastily declared. Rubbing my chest. ( that hurt right through my chainshirt!) "No spell books here. I'm just very smart. Sort of like one of your tribal shamans."
  Turning his head sideways he cocked an eye and said. " I'm keeping an eye on you."
  Great...
  The room beyond the Stardoor... Actually from here on out I am going to refer to it as the "Stargate," as that sounds way cooler.
  The room beyond the Stargate had a crystal clear pool in the middle of it of the type that one uses for scrying. And steps going down beyond that. The pool was beyond our knowledge so we took the stairs.
 At the bottom of the steps was a door, and beyond the door was a pool. But unlike the crystal clear pool above, this one was full of brackish, slimy water. The cleric, sorcerer and I stood in the entrance as the rest of the party fanned out around the pool.
  Once again Skylar's luck proved true. And I mean that as in bad luck. For something sprang from the pool and engulfed him.
  Any adventurer worth the title "Adventurer" knew what a Grey Ooze was and we all knew Skylar was in trouble. Their touch was acidic and Skylar was still suffering from the effects of the Shadow. There was no way he could wrestle that thing off himself.
  Luckily he has us.
  We blasted and chopped the thing off of him, dispatching it quick enough. Skylar was once again a smoking ruin on the floor. Once again Abrandon checked him over and declared him alive but in critical condition.
  Maybe instead of "Badluck" I will nickname him "Diehard." He would live but would have a few more scars and his armor was in bad shape.
  Once again Mordin and I was carrying Skylar out of the dungeon. But at least this time I didn't want to eat him.....

No comments:

Post a Comment