Sunday, November 10, 2013

Day Five, Evening

  Once the rest of the group was done eating breakfast, lucky dogs, we were led by the scout Skylar to the north of the keep of the leader of Thornkeep. One called Baron Turvin. Apparently he had murdered the previous Baron and that is the way the title is passed down. From Baron to Baron through baronicide.
  I wouldn't want that title.
  Skylar had a pretty good idea through some advanced research of where the entrance to the Accursed Halls was and after fanning out near the river we found it easy enough thanks to my knowledge of geography. The entrance was overgrown and I did not see any tracks going in and out, but I am by no means an expert tracker. This tunnel looked like it headed back under the hill of the Barons Keep.
   Lining up two abreast, with Skylar and the Barbarian in the front, Shakes and Draco in the middle and Catosha the cleric and I bringing up the rear we descended into darkness. Draco lit a lantern he purchased. I put my cheap, puny torch back in my backpack. Some hundred feet down this tunnel we discovered a hidden side passage going steeply down. A foul stench wafted up to us from below. Figuring something called " The Accursed Halls " probably smelled bad we decided on this route.
  Shakes said " we should stagger our formation. So we don't get taken out by traps in pairs. " sounded reasonable enough to us, so we made it so.
  I kept a wary eye on our flank.
  The passage opened up into a small room with a lone exit across from us. The source of the stench was in the center of this room in the form of a rotting pigs carcass. Morden took a big whiff and said " I don't think I ate enough." This caused several of our members to wretch. But not me and my empty stomach.
  Haha! Take that breakfast eaters!
  Shakes and Skylar moved in to examine the room for traps. Because this smelled of one.
  Literally!
  The pigs carcass was shackled to the floor and while they were checking this out the pair was set upon by Giant centipedes.
  I immediately fired my heavy crossbow.... and hit the ceiling. I cursed my pre combat  jitters and started to reload. By time I got the bulky thing ready to fire again the rest of the party had already dispatched the big bugs. So much for my first live fire combat!
  The next room we came to was large and vaguely diamond shaped, with us entering at one of the corners. Eight pillars in the semblance of six armed she-demons held up the ceiling. A ruined scaffolding led to a large hole some 30 feet in diameter above us. Various exits led out of this room but the most interesting was a large ornate door directly across from us.
  Shakes whispered " This is a perfect place for and ambush. " and signaled he would scout it out. Hiding in the shadows he proceeded into the room.
  Apparently Shakes was not as stealthy as he thought because he was indeed ambushed by a trio of Goblin archers from above. Shakes is quick but still only managed to dodge two of the arrows. He yelled in pain as the third one took him square in the shoulder blades. Morden, Skylar and the Cleric charged in to help Shakes but were set upon by more Goblins armed with short swords that were hiding behind the pillars. Draco and I both fired our crossbows from the door at one of the archers above. The little wretch was dug in like a bugbear tick though and we both missed.
  The Dwarf exchanged blows with her opponent, both to no effect. Skylar was dancing with another goblin. Shortsword to shortsword. Sparks flying out from their clash of steel. The halforc barabarian yelled a mighty battlecry and cut his opponent clean in half. He had a crazy look in his eye as he glared about looking for another goblin. Our group cheered! With such a warrior on our side we would certainly carry the field!
  Unfortunately the goblin archers realized this too.... and they all took aim on our chainmail clad hero. An arrow struck Morden in the thigh and another penetrated his chainmail in the back. He acted like he didn't even notice as he charged the goblin fighting Catosha.
  In an effort to stop the archers Draco stepped forward and said a single word, " Pain." Powered by his will that mystical word hit one of the archers like a kick in the nards. He doubled over and fell through the hole. Breaking his neck with an audible snap in front of us.
  Not to be outdone and not having time to reload my heavy crossbow I fired a ray of cold from my hand into the back of Skylar's opponent. I am sure the bone numbing chill played havoc on his reflexes as he wasn't able to raise his weapon in time to stop the scouts blade from opening his throat.
  Morden and Skylar had the last goblin swordsman dancing around while Catosha, bless her soul, used her magic to cure Shakes, who was looking a bit pale from loss of blood. She yelled as one of the Goblins shot her in the back!
  I don't know what came over me! To shoot a Lady in the back is one thing.....but to attack a medic on the battlefield is a serious breach of the Laws of Combat! I seen red....and called my best spell to mind.
  The Magic Missile.
  In Warmage College, they didn't just train you to cast a spell at a target. You are trained to hit that target in it's most vital areas. The goblin archer looked kind of funny with his eyes crossed trying to see the hole I had just blown through his head.
  Morden cut down the last goblin infantry and Skylar shot the last archer with his shortbow as I checked on Catosha. She was easily as tough as Morden in my opinion as she just shrugged and pulled the arrow out. With the battle being over the cleric used the rest of her magic to cure everyones wounds. We looted the bodies of the fallen goblins and examined the ornate door.
  It had a large star like pattern in the center of it surrounded by seven small holes about the width of a finger. It hummed with magic. Morden couldn't open it with all his strength. We deduced we needed seven keys to open this door and left it.
  Traveling deeper into the Accursed Halls we had minor encounters with Goblins, Stirges ( which are kind of like a cross between a bird and a mosquito. Ick!) and a purple mist that played tricks on our minds. We had found several items of interest hidden in various areas, the most notable being a set of magic chainmail and a magic shortsword with runes down the blade. I informed the group I was fluent in 5 languages including Draconic and Elvin, they were suitable impressed, but could not read these runes.
  At this point we decided to search one last room as we were mostly out of magic and getting a bit fatigued. This final room was occupied by three goblins. We assumed this would be an easy overrun and charged right in. And right into a spell one of the Goblins cast.
  In Warmage College we magically sparred, and sparred a lot. I recognized the spell as a ' Burning Hands' spell. I got my shield up and deflected the flames from myself.
  Skylar was not so lucky.
  He took the brunt of the blast full in the chest.
  We cut down the Goblins easy enough after this and Catosha checked on Skylar. He was alive but in critical condition. She assigned Morden and I to carry him out carefully, so we could get him some aid in the town above.
  On a side note, and I am ashamed to admit this, but since I will most likely be dead if anyone ever reads this Journal, you see, I had not eaten in like 36 hours, and the smell of Skylar's cooked flesh was making my mouth water. It was tricky getting him out and the whole time my stomach was growling. Thank the Seven Heavens we found some silver on some of those goblins!

No comments:

Post a Comment